Sunday 15 September 2013

Starlight Hike

A couple of friends and I took part in the 10k Starlight Hike at Moggerhanger Park last night. We have been walking for a couple of months now and have built up to 6 miles per evening three times a week, so we were prepared for the walk.
The day didn't get off to a great start for me as our youngest son woke up at 4am screaming, as he had convinced himself there were black spiders everywhere in the house.  It took a couple of hours to calm him down by applying deep pressure (he likes bear hugs, weighted blanket round him etc), which help with his sensory needs.   I thought calm had been restored when our daughter suddenly woke up in a bad mood which quickly escalated into a full scale meltdown – doors were slammed followed by screaming and shouting that lasted another couple of hours. By mid morning I felt as if I had been awake half the day and was ready for a snooze.  I had no idea how I was going to make it until night time, as the walk didn't begin until 10pm.

I hadn’t bargained for the rush of adrenalin that took over once we arrived at Moggerhanger Park and registered our places. We got into the mood of the night and bought ourselves blue head boppers that glowed in the dark. At the start of the walk there was a sea of blue lights bouncing along the road. We were entertained on the walk by majorettes,  musicians and a bubble machine blowing pink bubbles into the sky. As we approached the finish line we walked through a pretty forest area which had been decorated in tiny lights - it felt like a magical walk in fairyland. 
We are already planning to do next year’s walk – I’m finding that my walks are a great way to release stress and have some time for me.  I can have an adult conversation without our youngest son's latest habit of copying every word you say – this has developed since returning to school.    
Walking may not be for you, but find something that you can do to escape from the pressures of everyday life.  No matter what demands are put upon us, we are all entitled to some 'me time', even if it is only for 10 minutes a day.  By calming ourselves, we will be better equipped to deal with whatever life throws our way.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment