Family life can be challenging at the best of times, but with children that have additional needs, life can place extra demands on you. Try and have a support network around you of family and friends who can offer help from time to time. This may allow you the freedom to do the shopping by yourself. If any of you have family members suffering with ASD, you will appreciate how traumatic an experience a shopping trip can be with the sensory overload that it can cause. It may give siblings the chance to have some time away with their friends in a less stressful environment. Or it may give you the chance to talk to someone and offload.
Support groups are a fantastic place for meeting other families in a similar situation and this is where I have learnt so many tips from other parents about what works for them. Local groups in Bedfordshire for families with ASD include:
· Autism Bedfordshire www.autismbedfordshire.net
· Carers in Bedfordshire www.carersinbeds.co.uk
· Family United Network (FUN) www.familiesunitednetwork.co.uk
· National Autistic Society (NAS) – look on their website for local groups www.autism.org.uk
· Outside-In www.outsidein-solutions.org
· The Avenue (new group starting in October 2013) www.theavenuesupport.co.uk
Please share details of other groups that have supported you.